Sunday, September 14, 2008

Emotions... a counterpoint for the sake of argument...

I have been thinking about emotions lately for some unknown reason, and for whatever other reason, I find it far easier to be in opposition to the norm, at least for the sake of allowing the norm to defend itself against real questions and by passing them to come out of the ordeal more firmly entrenched. (I feel I need to say this, even to myself, from time to time just to remind myself that I don't always think of myself as right, sometimes I think out loud and in doing so, say things that I am thinking, but not necessarily convinced of... In doing this I think of myself as not afraid to ask the questions to find out what "right" really is, even at the cost of looking "wrong" in my attempts...) Anyway, I sometimes think that, contrary to what seems to be the popular belief, emotions should rule us. They are after all what makes us human, and not animal or robot. OK, not "rule" us, but I think it is a bit odd to say that emotions shouldn't affect us. Why do people think God spent so much time and energy putting them into us? And giving them such a strong influence over us? We are created in His image after all, and I would say that God has emotions. If we even go as far as saying that emotions are coming from somewhere deep inside, they are reactions that we have, almost preprogrammed into us, almost instinctual, perhaps it could be argued that we rely far too little on our emotions. Now let's not get carried away, surely we can and do react wrongly to them, or interpret them incorrectly, but that is not the "emotions" fault. I would argue that I should get sad when sad things happen, and angry when evil happens. And those emotions should at times cause action. I have heard people, especially in the church since it seems to be "church-speak", talk about giving our emotions to God... Letting Him take them... Why does it have to be us giving God our emotions. Isn't He the one that gave emotions to us? Why do we have to take that and say "no thanks God". Maybe the answer is to learn to interpret them and act on them, not eliminate them, not "not feel" them. Not handcuff their effect on us and repress them... I guess that is just me thinking out loud though... maybe getting a little emotional about the whole thing...

No comments: