Sunday, August 31, 2008

Connections in the world...

Well, I have been thinking about something, in fact I have been battling this one for a long time in my head and so I don’t have answers to it. I have a lot of questions. Now it is true that there are statements clearly visible in the questions if you are willing to look hard enough, but they are still questions none the less… so here they come…

I know that I have been told, and I would like to think, that we don’t “need” other people, and that we shouldn’t let them control how we feel. I even wrote a blog on the myspace page linked to this blog about it. But I have some questions rising from my experience in this field. Please consider them rhetorical though. I feel I should also mention that I am not herein interested in theological or metaphysical arguments. I consider God to be the one and only constant in my life. The one thing that is always there, and always will be. The eternal source of joy and fulfillment, so these are given after that because we are still all human, whether we like it or not. And guess who made us that way…

What do you do when you find someone that makes your day better just by being a part of it?

What do you do?

What happens when you have a day that, by definition, is “worse” because they weren’t a part of it? Because if they had been it could have been better…

What do you do when you find someone that makes you feel invincible when you are around them? (It would seem that some would say that you should run away from that person because you only should allow God to affect you that way. And how do you argue with that statement?)

What do you do? Because it happens. I know it happens. It happened to me. Heck, it still happens to me. I think that it is supposed to happen…

There is a line in a Common “song” that goes “Addicted to your love girl I need another dose”. What do you do when you find yourself in that situation? Do you try to kick the habit? Just because it is a “habit”? (Habit of course being the wrong word here but…)

When you find yourself in a position where someone literally means “the world” to you, what do you do?

On the flip side what do you do because if there is someone like that, that can make you feel invincible, they can also make you feel intensely vulnerable? One seems to come with the other.

What do you do with someone whose absence can cause physical pain? Maybe I am the only one that has felt this…

Is it bad that we find ourselves in that position? What an incredible opportunity for us to have more complete eternal perspective. How do we think God feels about us? And how our actions affect Him? Do you believe that it saddens God when you sin? Or that He is unaffected? Do you believe that you can bring God joy? Or cause Him pain? So how then can we feel that we can’t/shouldn’t affect each other that way? And this is of course amplified many times in individual, select relationships…

I know it is a fine line, walking between loving someone else while loving God first. I know that. I understand that. I have struggled with that. But He knows. He even uses the relationship between people to illustrate His relationship with us. He created us to feel the way that we do. He didn’t create us to love only Him, He created us to love and His love for us causes us to love Him. Just like gravity it is the strongest force pulling the hardest, but also like gravity, it does not pull us in one single direction. (Ooops, I think I may have just opened up a can of worms on that one… I think I have another topic on my hands… stay tuned.) With that in mind I am going to cut this one loose, even though it feels a little incomplete, disjointed and whatever else… my mind has wandered into something which really should get its own posting… This, just like just about everything else, is more of a stream of consciousness rough draft, but it is honest and it is progressive so with that in mind I don't mind posting it...

(I should also add that there obviously isn't a single person that affects me, there just seems to be one that affects me more often and more completely though...)

No comments: