Sunday, July 5, 2009

For those of you that haven't met Petrarch...

It was the day the sun himself grew pale
with grieving for his Maker-I was seized
and made no effort to defend myself;
your lovely eyes had held me and bound me, Lady.

It didn't seem a time to be on guard
against Love's blows, so I went confident
and fearless on my way. My troubles started
amid the universal sense of woe.

Love found me wholly undefended, with
the way from eyes to heart completely open,
eyes that are now the conduit for tears.

He got no glory by it; I was helpless.
And he let you escape with no attack
when you were well defended, fully armed.

-Petrarch's blog
April 6, 1327

This bad boy knocked me over the first time I read him years ago... I like the idea of him having a blog of sorts... as well as the thought of introducing my readers to some scarcely known masterpieces... perhaps making some not so subtle comparisons... and maybe it helps me to read something like this and know that I am not the only one.

Sometimes I think I need to read happier fare... or at least not go out as often where people can see me...

No comments: